Monday, 11 July 2016

Film #3: How to Make Comfrey Tea with Morag Gamble (4:52mins)

Every garden needs comfrey. It is so very useful. One way to use it is as a fabulous natural fertiliser for the kitchen garden. Here is one of the simplest ways I know to make Comfrey tea using just comfrey and water in under 5 minutes.

I have comfrey growing in various places throughout the garden - under fruit trees, near the compost, on the edge of the kitchen garden - an a couple in the midst of things like this one.

How to Make Comfrey Tea in under 5 minutes


Take a look at my clip FILM #3: HOW TO MAKE COMFREY TEA to see how easy it is to make (4:52 mins). 

Step 1: Collect comfrey leaves
Step 2: Tear up leaves into lidded bin
Step 3: Cover with water
Step 4: Wait for 6 weeks
Step 5: Dilute 1:10 with water.


I regularly harvest leaves and turn them into comfrey tea - a simple method using just comfrey and water in a lidded bin.

Comfrey leaves ripped up with water are covered with water then let steep for about 6 weeks - giving them a stir every now and then. 

For more information:

I wrote about making comfrey tea in more detail a few months back.  Here's the link if you'd like to read more:  http://our-permaculture-life.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/simple-homemade-natural-fertiliser.html

For other simple ideas on how to improve your soil, visit my post 5 Simple Ways to Improve Your Soil and Grow Better Food.

I also use comfrey tea to moisten and activate the soil in the beginning stages of making a no-dig garden. The method I have refined over the past 2 decades is super easy and super effective. Here is my explanation of how to make a no-dig garden. 

If you enjoyed that, take a look at my other short films:

Film #1: Our Permaculture Life: My Permaculture Garden (33 mins)

3 comments:

  1. Terrific ideas!! Would this work with other plants? If so, how would one select the best plants to use as fertilizer? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use comfrey tea at the allotments.
    I like to give my plants a boost with a liquid feed.
    You can always tell when somebody has taken the lid off ! (pretty pungent)

    ReplyDelete