Our Permaculture Life: Pumpkin Greens: Harvest a Leafy Abundance

Pumpkin Greens: Harvest a Leafy Abundance



Pumpkins are so much more than the orange flesh, as delicious as that is. I actually use pumpkin all the time to make soup, curry, sauces, dips, baked veggies, but there's so many more benefits and bonuses from growing pumpkin such as ...
  1. Pumpkin leaves and stems are delicious, nutritious and a totally abundant source of leafy greens.  I eat them every day.
  2. I have pumpkin vines tumbling around under my food forest as a living mulch and habitat for lizards and frogs.
  3. I also allow pumpkins to climb up over the chicken house to provide summer shade.
  4. When they die back, I use the leaves and stems as mulch and organic matter.
  5. I make chips from the skin
  6. I toast the seeds and drizzle them with tamari.
  7. I eat the flowers.

Check out this short film I just made about how I harvest and use this thriving vine to supercharge the amount of greens I have access to in my garden, particularly in the warmer months when other things wilt and wither away.




Happy gardening. Feel free to share this post.


6 WEEK ONLINE COURSE
Join me for my new 6 week online course: THE INCREDIBLE EDIBLE GARDEN. http://www.thegoodlifeschool.net.  Gift Cards can be purchased  - click the link on the sidebar.

www.thegoodlifeschool.net

Subscribe to my newsletter



Check out lots of how-to permaculture clips on my YouTube channel:

To receive direct notification of all my films, you can subscribe my YouTube channel. Just click the red subscribe button on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/c/moraggambleourpermaculturelife

Labels: , , , , , , ,