Our Permaculture Life: 7 ways that Rosemary promotes healthy hair: Simple recipe for natural hair rinse

7 ways that Rosemary promotes healthy hair: Simple recipe for natural hair rinse


Rosemary (Rosemarinus offininalis) is a favourite herb in gardens around the world and understandably so. It is one of those hardy perennial herbs that not only grows very easily in a huge range of conditions, it grows so wonderfully, there's always plenty available. It responds well to regular harvesting too. It's super easy to propagate by cuttings too, attracts bees to the garden and is pest resistant. 

Originally from the Mediterranean, this plant can now be found almost everywhere but the most extreme climates. As long as you don't overwater it, or the soil is not waterlogged, it can grow just about anywhere. It can get a bit twiggy after a while, but after a good trim it springs back with lovely new growth. 


I plant rosemary in my garden where I can easily reach it. I use it every day in cooking and in other ways around the home.

Did you know that rosemary belongs to the mint family (Lamiaceae), along with basil, lavender, thyme, oregano and many other herbs? There over 8000 species in this family.

Culturally rosemary is important in so many different cultures. Rosemary was considered sacred to ancient Greeks, Romans and Egyptians. The scent of freshly crushed rosemary has been said to help you study and improve memory. It's also the Remembrance Day herb here in Australia. 

Regular snipping of sprigs encourages healthy new growth of supple leaf tips.

Rosemary for Healthy Hair

Did you know that Rosemary is one of the most beneficial herbs for your hair?  It has strong antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-oxidant properties. By regularly using natural homemade rosemary hair products, you can:

  1. stimulate hair follicles and the growth of healthy new hair.
  2. help prevent hair thinning
  3. darken hair naturally - used for a very long time to cover greys (note: if you apply for a few minutes then wash out, you can use on lighter hair without effect)
  4. regular use reduces the appearance of grey hairs
  5. wash away build up of hair products 
  6. make hair feel much more naturally soft and shiny.  
  7. reduce dandruff and itchy scalp too. 
Just 2 ingredients for healthy hair naturally - rosemary and water!


Here's the simplest recipe I know for making a rosemary hair rinse.

Simple Rosemary Hair Rinse for regular use
Makes approximately 4 applications

To simple ingredients:
5 easy steps
  1. In a saucepan, bring the water to the boil. 
  2. Reduce heat, then add the rosemary. 
  3. Simmer for a few minutes with the lid on to keep the volatile oils in.
  4. Let it stand to cool
  5. Strain the leaves out.
It is now ready to use as a hair rinse. After you've washed your hair, pour this over you hair (avoid eyes) and massage into scalp and to the ends. You don't need to wash it out. It leaves your hair smelling so fresh. 

Rosemary in daily meals


I use this flavoursome and aromatic herb in lots of dishes. I don't think there is a day that I don't wander past my rosemary plants to harvest leaves and or flowers. 

I particularly like to sprinkle a few leaves and flowers through my salad. A simple homemade salad dressing is just so delicious with rosemary. Of course rosemary is fabulous on pizza, in vegetable soup, blended through pasta sauces, roasted with sweet potato or potato. So many uses!

But it's not just in the kitchen that I use rosemary. I use it in the shower too, and in cleaning. I always love to find new ways to make the most of all the plants growing in my garden.


Weeping rosemary growing abundantly along the terrace wall.

Types of Rosemary:
I have a few types growing in my garden:
There are so very many cultivars. I have looked around local gardens and found the ones thriving here and asked for cuttings of those. It's a good way to get the right ones for your area.

What other ways do you use Rosemary in your daily life?



Subscribe to Morag Gamble's Newsletter




Subscribe to my YouTube channel:

To receive direct notification of all my films, you can subscribe my YouTube channel. Just click the red subscribe button on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/c/moraggambleourpermaculturelife

Thank you to my Patreon community:

If have enjoyed my blog and youtube channel, you may like to consider becoming my patron too. I think of it like a subscription to a magazine you like - but this one is online. From $1/month, you can be part of my the Our Permaculture Life supporter network. Click here to find out more:  https://www.patreon.com/moraggamble.

Labels: , , , , , ,