Our Permaculture Life: 10 things I no longer buy ...

10 things I no longer buy ...


This week on my Simple Living segment on ABC radio (Tuesday evenings 9:30) I chat with Trevor Jackson about the 10 things I no longer buy, and explore the amazing things I have gained from buying way less 'stuff':
https://soundcloud.com/user-523529725/10-things-i-no-longer-buy



I have chosen to buy less, not just to save money, but because of how it enables me to reduce my environmental and social impact, and support respectful practices and products.



Here's just some of the things I no longer buy:



1. FAST FASHION

Instead I choose ethical, sustainable, second-hand, well made, hand-made, upcycled and hand-me-down options.


2. OVER-PACKAGED AND OVER-PROCESSED FOODS

Instead I cook from scratch using good ingredients bought in bulk (plastic free) and from my rambling kitchen garden.


3. MOST VEGETABLES

I eat what I grow.


4. DISPOSABLE CUPS, BOTTLES, PLATES ETC

I carry my own and use washable options at parties and events.


5. SINGLE USE PAPER PRODUCTS

No more tissues and paper towels. I use hankies and napkins. (still use toilet paper though!)


6. PLASTIC FOOD STORAGE CONTAINERS AND CLING WRAP

I choose to buy and store my food in jars. I also have a few stainless steel containers and sometimes use bowls to store things in the fridge with a plate as a lid.


7. LAUNDRY DETERGENT

I use natural alternatives such as soap nuts for the wash, vinegar as a fabric softener and sodium percarbonate as bleach.


8. DISHWASHING DETERGENTS, PLASTIC SCOURERS, GLOVES AND BRUSHES

I use luffa scrubs, castile soap and vinegar rinse.


9. SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER

I use castile soap as shampoo and aloe vera as a conditioner (straight from the plant).


10. FACE PRODUCTS AND MAKE-UP

I use castile soap as a face wash, homemade grapefruit toner, aloe moisturiser (again straight from the plant) and sometimes pure jojoba oil. I also make my own creams using just a few natural products (such as olive oil, beeswax, plants from the garden).


Morag's Workshops

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/morag-gamble-our-permaculture-life-13789824769
 August 12: DIY Natural Beauty Products

Subscribe to Morag Gamble's Newsletter


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,