Our Permaculture Life: Sprouted Buckwheat Salad

Sprouted Buckwheat Salad

My favourite lunch is a garden salad made from ingredients that inspire me during my midday wander around the garden. Usually I gather a collection of interesting leaves, herbs, edible flowers and even edible weeds, often ending up with twenty ingredients in my bowl - a leaf from this and a leaf from that. 

To add extra protein to my salad, I sprinkle on some sunflower seeds, drizzle some tahini and top with homemade buckwheat sprouts and kim chi - all organic.


Sprouting is a wonderful way to improve the value of our food and increase our body's ability to uptake the nutrients and protein. 

Sprouting takes a dormant thing and brings it to life. Fresh sprouts are the best so I make just enough for 2 days at a time. 

Buckwheat is the easiest of all sprouts since the soaking time is only 20-30 minutes, rather than hours or overnight. 


Buckwheat sprout instructions 
About Buckwheat

Labels: